The redesign process for the Maternal and Family Health Services, Inc. (MFHS) website. MFHS came to me looking for a more mature and polished design for their website. They were also looking for the website to be responsive so it would serve their constituents on a computer, phone or even a tablet.
Client is looking for a completely overhauled website. They want the website to be responsive on any sized screen and they want a lot more control over updating the website. Currently, the client has to contact a programmer to even change the text on the website. The client also has many different constituents and the site has to have a lot of information. They need a way to display this information in a visually appealing way and to be able to customize both the page content and the navigation depending on the section of the site.
The client is also interested in adding some special features to the website; such as a quiz so visitors can see what services they qualify for as well as a password protected area for providers only. Overall, the client wants the site to look updated and professional… but most importantly, very easy to use and to navigate.
Before & After
Problems to Solve
- The website was difficult to update and required a programmer to make even simple changes to the text.
- The website is too narrow on today’s larger monitors. It also does not look right on mobile devices.
- There is no place on the website for the client to showcase any news or upcoming events, etc.
- The organization has a lot of different programs and needs the capability to speak to many different audiences without taking up too much “prime real estate.”
- The client wanted to create a “Do I Qualify” quiz so that website visitors could answer a few simple questions in order to determine what services they may qualify for.
- The client wanted to be able to segment and display pertinent information to their many constituents. Therefore, the sidebar content of the site will need to change depending on the section.
- Client wants the ability to add their own images to each section of the page and to be able to change these as needed without hiring a designer or programmer.
- Client needs a password protected, private area of the website where providers can log in and get information that is not accessible to the general public.
- Using the WordPress content management system, MFHS now has full capability to log-in online where staff members can add blog posts, change images, and add & update pages.
- The website was designed for a large monitor. We also created mockups for each template (4 mockups per template to be exact) to show exactly what the site would also look like on a laptop, large tablet, small tablet, and smart phone.
- The homepage slideshow is easy to update and rotates through important marketing messages automatically. It’s also fully responsive; even animated on an iPhone screen.
- The MFHS programs are displayed on the homepage in a tabbed format in order to include a lot of information in a small amount of space. Programs can be easily added, removed, updated, and rearranged to suit their need to be flexible.
- The “Do I Qualify” quiz is an interactive feature that’s displayed elegantly and simply; users have no idea how truly complicated the decision trees for determining eligibility really are.
- Created the option for “custom sidebars.” MFHS has the capability to add a completely different sidebar on each page of the site. They can use this to feature different promotions, or even flag categories or tags from blog posts to display on that page. For example, a blog post on healthy eating can be flagged with the the category “Nutrition”, and then be pulled automatically onto the WIC Nutrition web page.
- Each page of the website can be updated with a custom large banner using the “Featured image” built-in functionality of the WordPress blogging engine.
- For provider-specific information, I created a locked-down section that only they can see! It’s fully integrated and just as easily updated by the MFHS staff members as the rest of the website.
“I wanted to send you a quick note to tell you just how many compliments we have been getting on the new website. Even a month out, we’re still hearing from partners and colleagues in all of our programs who are just so impressed. We keep hearing over and over again how warm and inviting the site is, how fast it loads, and how easy it is to use.
On top of that, we just completed a Federal review of our Title X Family Planning program. These are done every 3 years, so the last time they did a full review, the SafeTeens.org redesign wasn’t even complete. They were just blown away by both web sites, and were very excited to share them with their colleagues. They review Title X programs throughout the country and see a lot of websites and outreach materials, and they were very impressed by all our work on the web.
You’ve put in a lot of time and effort on both sites, and I just wanted you to know they are getting rave reviews from everyone who sees them! Thank you!”Jean H., Online Marketing Specialist, Maternal and Family Health Services
Interested in a project like this?
Please contact me if you’d like to talk about simplifying or redesigning your own reports!