Safeteens is a resource for teens, providing reliable health information and a direct link to Family Planning health centers located throughout Pennsylvania. The Safeteens logo and website were in desperate need of updating and the client had many goals in mind for improving the website. Some of their major goals included:
- Increase the overall usability of the website by:
- Eliminating Flash animation and music from the website
- The creation of a 404 Error page, and 301 redirects (if someone goes to a page from the old site that no longer exists, this gives the ability to redirect to the closest matching page on the new site)
- Development of a clear hierarchy, or sitemap, of pages along with breadcrumb navigation.
- CMS capabilities so that staff would be able to add to and update the site
- Addition of a news blog, with the ability for the user to ‘comment’ on articles and share them with friends
- Interactive features, such as a dynamic “Find a Health Center” address database, featured polls, featured homepage articles, and featured YouTube videos.
- Integration of social media, such as displaying a Twitter feed, and allowing the user to share pages, news posts, and other elements of the site on Facebook.
The redesign process began with extensive research on how teens use the web; what they like, what they dislike, and how to make their website more appealing to the target audience (preteens and early teens).
Before & After Redesign
Here you’ll see the before and after of the Safeteens redesign:
I wanted to send you a quick note to tell you just how many compliments we have been getting on the new website. Even a month out, we’re still hearing from partners and colleagues in all of our programs who are just so impressed. We keep hearing over and over again how warm and inviting the site is, how fast it loads, and how easy it is to use.
On top of that, we just completed a Federal review of our Title X Family Planning program. These are done every 3 years, so the last time they did a full review, the SafeTeens.org redesign wasn’t even complete. They were just blown away by both web sites, and were very excited to share them with their colleagues. They review Title X programs throughout the country and see a lot of websites and outreach materials, and they were very impressed by all our work on the web.
You’ve put in a lot of time and effort on both sites, and I just wanted you to know they are getting rave reviews from everyone who sees them! Thank you!Jean H., Online Marketing Specialist, Maternal and Family Health Services
Maternal & Family Health Services, Inc. announces the launch of the new Safeteens.org. The newly redesigned Safeteens is a resource on healthy living and safe sex for Pennsylvania teens as well as teens across the country. New features and improved functionality makes it easy for teens to get reliable health information and find family planning health centers across the state of Pennsylvania. View The Press Release
Interested in a project like this?
Please contact me if you’d like to talk about simplifying or redesigning your own reports!